Getting to Campus
Barnard College is located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, between 116th and 120th Streets, along the west side of Broadway. It is easily accessible by car, bus, or subway from anywhere in New York City, including the local airports. The easiest way to get to campus is by subway or bus. That's how most New Yorkers travel.
- From the 1 local train: In Manhattan, the Broadway 1 local train subway stops at 116th Street and Broadway (the 116th Street-Columbia University stop).
- From the 2 or 3 express trains: Transfer to the 1 local train at 96th Street.
- From the 7, N or R trains: Transfer to the 1 local train at Times Square/42nd Street.
- From the A, B, C, or D trains: Transfer to the 1 local train at 59th Street
Four bus lines stop near campus:
- The Madison Avenue M4 bus and the Broadway M104 bus: Stops at Broadway and 116th, 118th, 120th Streets
- The Sixth Avenue M5 bus: Stops at Riverside Drive and 119th Street
- The Amsterdam Avenue M11 bus: Stops at Amsterdam and 118th Street
Buses take exact change or MetroCards. Check the MTA site for fare information and purchasing MetroCards: Metropolitan Transit Authority
From the Henry Hudson Parkway (West Side Highway):
- Take the 96th Street exit (either from the north or south).
- Go two blocks east to Broadway.
- Take a left turn uptown to Barnard’s main gate at 117th Street.
To reach the Henry Hudson Parkway from the north:
- Take the New York Thruway (Route 87) or New England Thruway (I-95) to the Cross Bronx Expressway toward the George Washington Bridge.
- Bear right as you approach the bridge and take the exit for Henry Hudson Parkway south.
From the east:
- Take the Grand Central Parkway or Long Island Expressway west to the Cross Island Parkway north.
- Cross over the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Cross Bronx Expressway toward the George Washington Bridge.
- Exit onto the Henry Hudson Parkway south.
From the south and west:
- Take the New Jersey Turnpike (I-95) north or I-80 east to the George Washington Bridge.
- Exit the bridge onto the Henry Hudson Parkway south.
For information about parking, please click here.