Transfer and Visiting Applicants
Entrance in January (Spring Term)
Deadline: November 1
Rolling Notification: After December 1
Entrance in September (Fall Term):
Deadline: March 15
Rolling Notification: After May 1
If you have questions about your application or wish to send additional documents, please email us at email@example.com or call our office at 212-854-2014.
Step 1: Apply via the Common Application
- Submit the Transfer Common Application online at www.commonapp.org/transferapp.
- Submit the $75 application fee or the fee waiver request as part of the application submission process.
Step 2: Submit Transfer & Visiting supporting documents
- Submit a Personal Statement (the prompt is located in the Documents tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”)
- Complete the Writing Supplement (located in the Questions tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”).
- Request that all official high school and college transcripts be sent to Barnard College. If you have attended several colleges, official transcripts must be mailed from each college. Visiting students are not required to send high school transcripts.
- College transcripts: Submit the “Transcript Request Form” within the Colleges Attended section under “Academic History” on the Common Application.
- High school transcripts: Contact your high school to have them send us your final high school transcript using either one of the electronic services as a secure PDF or through the mail to us at 3009 Broadway, New York, NY 10027.
- GED: Should be sent to Barnard Admissions at the above address.
- Submit the Common Application College Report form (located in the Documents tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”). This must be completed by Registrar’s or Dean’s Office at the college in which you are currently enrolled. This person must have access to your overall academic record.
- Submit one Academic Recommendation by inviting a professor to complete the Academic Recommendation form (located in the Recommendations tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”). This should be completed by a professor in whose class you have been enrolled within the last year.
- Submit the Common Application Mid-Term Report Form to submit grades from each instructor for all college courses in progress, if applicable (located in the Documents tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”).
- Mid-Term Reports are due November 15 for students applying for January enrollment and April 15 for September enrollment. If one instructor must delay his or her grade, use a second copy of the form and submit those grades already earned immediately. You may send additional grades when they become available.
- If your school is on a quarter or trimester system, please submit the grades you received for the most recent term. If you are not currently attending college, you do not need to submit this form.
- Please do not submit Mid-Semester/Quarter reports until you have handed in enough coursework for professors to assess your work. If reports are submitted in late February or early March (on a semester system), we may contact you for updated grades later in the semester.
Transfer applicants must also submit the following required documents:
- Submit official results of the College Board SAT or the ACT Assessment by the application deadline. SAT or ACT scores are required for all transfer applicants regardless of the number of credits earned, years since high school, or if the applicant has not taken a test previously. The College Board code number for Barnard is 2038.The ACT code number for Barnard is 2718. All students must submit score results. Exceptions will not be made. You should also indicate your unofficial test scores on the Common Application by uploading a screenshot of your score reports.
The following documents are optional for Transfer applicants only:
- Students may submit a Secondary School Final Report form from their secondary school college counselor or principal and additional letters as appropriate. (Invite the counselor or principal or others to complete the Personal, Professional, or Academic Recommendation form (located in the Recommendations tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”).
- Students may submit supplementary portfolios (art — including film, photo, drawing, painting, sculpture — music, dance, theatre, or creative writing) for review only when it represents a substantial amount of time, dedication, and energy. You may access Slideroom here. To ensure we have a solid sense of your commitment, especially if your artistic endeavors represent substantial time and focus, feel free to include a resume of relevant training and achievements. Supplementary material is considered part of the application and will not be returned. Please note: Supplementary material will not be reviewed by Barnard faculty, and during high volume periods, we unfortunately cannot guarantee it will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee.
- Submit course catalog/bulletin descriptions for courses from all colleges in which you have been enrolled (located in the Documents tab on the Common Application under “Program Materials”). Courses should be clearly marked and include full course descriptions. Clear photocopies of course descriptions are acceptable but must include the appropriate pages listing graduation requirements. If your course catalog is online, copy and paste course descriptions from your school’s online course catalog into a Word document. Failure to submit course descriptions will delay the review of your application.
Frequently Asked Questions
Please see this page for FAQ for our transfer and visiting applicants.