End of Semester Procedures
Faculty and students have been in touch with Deans, the Registrar and the Office of Provost concerning specifics regarding administering deferred exams or incomplete work this semester. The information below should clarify procedures and provide additional guidance.
Faculty have been advised to follow the following guidelines:
- Any student requesting a deferral of student work should receive it and there will be no penalties for deferrals and no fees.
- Students will be informed that an "I" or an "X" on a transcript will be permanently replaced by the final course grade, and the "I" or "X" will disappear from the transcript for Fall 2019 courses. You should feel free to communicate this to your students.
- If a student requests a deferral on an exam or is not present for the scheduled exam, please assign a grade of "X" in SSOL.
- If a student does not complete written work or other final projects please assign a grade of "I" in SSOL.
- Please encourage your students to fill out either the deferred exam or the incomplete form.
- Please encourage students to inform their Class Dean of their intention to take a deferral or incomplete or you can do so for them.
- Deferred exams are normally administered at the end of January and we are working on a potential expanded list of College exam dates. Faculty should feel free to make alternate arrangements as they see fit, including everything from cancelling the exam, providing a range of options to students, and extending the due-date for written assignments.
Faculty should feel free to communicate with their students about the various options available to them. While the Barnard administration does not have oversight on the decisions of Columbia faculty, Columbia faculty have been advised by the Columbia Provost to demonstrate flexibility in accommodating students in need. Please reach out to the professor to discuss the particular accommodation. If further advice or assistance is needed, students should be in touch with their class dean.