Additional Application Requirements
We broadly define international students to be the following:
- a citizen of a country other than the United States who has been educated abroad;
- a U.S. citizen educated abroad;
- a Foreign National educated in the U.S.
Barnard welcomes applications from international students following the same application procedure and presenting the same credentials, or the regional equivalent, as domestic candidates. Please submit materials as described under the Application Requirements for First-Years or Transfers (no separate International Student application is required). In some cases, additional credentials may be required, as described below. Fluency in the English language is essential for admission.
Secondary School Curriculum and Credentials
Barnard expects each applicant to challenge herself in the most demanding curriculum available. In order to help us understand your transcript better, please note the following:
- Students must request that their high school and/or college send an official TRANSCRIPT or EXAM RESULTS via e-docs or mail. (Certificates or copies of certificates are NOT required and should NOT be submitted)
- Students with transcripts or official documents not issued in English need to provide certified English translations along with the official documents. Your school may be able to guide you to third party organizations who regularly provide these translations. Contact us if you have questions.
- Students who apply for admission during their last year of secondary school should clearly state the name of the certificate or degree they expect to receive and when they will receive it. Students who have taken external national or board examinations should submit examination results as well as transcripts for each year of secondary-level study.
- Students should NOT submit other academic or activity certificates.
Required Testing for International Students
- All students are required to submit official results from either the College Board SAT Reasoning Test OR results from the ACT Assessment Test. Learn more here about the SAT exam and the ACT exam.
- In addition to SAT/ACT requirements, students whose primary language is not English or who have not studied at a secondary school for four or more years where the primary language of instruction is English should submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) , the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Duolingo English Test. Contact us with questions if you are unsure whether these exams would be required.
- If students are able to travel to a country where the SAT is offered, it is strongly recommended that they do their best to sit for the required testing. (For students in China, for example, the SAT is offered in Hong Kong and the ACT is offered at several sites in China. We also recognize that SAT exams have been restricted in Korea this year. Please let us know if you have specific questions, and we will consider minor adjustments to testing requirements based upon circumstances for international students.)
- The most competitive candidates for admission generally receive a score of 7 or higher on the IELTS , a TOEFL score of 100 or above, or a 72 or higher on the Duolingo English Test.
An interview with a representative of the Barnard community (senior interviewer, staff member, alumna) is an option available, but not required, for first-year applicants in their senior year of high school. Information about scheduling on-campus or alumnae interviews may be found here.
- International students are invited to schedule an interview if they plan to be on campus between mid-June and mid-December.
- If students are unable to travel to campus, it may be possible to arrange an off-campus interview with an alumna near your home between mid-September and December.
- For students in China and South Korea, we offer an additional option for interviews through a third-party service, Intial View. We often have far fewer alumnae interviewers than we have requests. Additionally, the time difference between the United States and Asia further complicates our ability to offer Skype interviews, so we have connected with Intial View, who offer comprehensive interviews. For one fee, they send your interview video/report to all colleges on your list that use their service. For more information about this service, please visit the Initial View website. If you are concerned that fees would present a hardship for you and your family, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com for an alternative solution.
If you have any questions, we are here to help! International applicants may contact Ruby Bhattacharya, Coordinator of International Recruitment at firstname.lastname@example.org.